TifGrand® is the world’s first seed and pollen sterile (triploid hybrid) bermuda scientifically developed to thrive in 60-70º continuous shade. A semi-dwarf Bermuda grass, TifGrand® is naturally darker green and produces thin blade and denser turf than other Tifdwarf and semi-dwarf varieties.
Released by University of Georgia turfgrass breeders and geneticists Dr. Wayne Hanna and Dr. Kris Braman, TifGrand bermudagrass is patented and licensed. Before TifGrand® was released, it was evaluated under the independent nationwide NTEP 2002 National Bermuda Test (as Tift No. 4). Over the course of 5 years, 23 trials in 19 states were conducted and TifGrand® (Tift No. 4) scored as well as or better than other entries.
- Semi-dwarf Bermuda grass
- Attractive, dense turf with naturally dark green blade
- Thrives in 60-70% continuous shade (approximately 5 hours direct sun)
- Increased cold tolerance
- Superior quality in full sun
- Spreads by rhizomes and stolons
- Excellent tawny-mole cricket resistance
- Reduced water requirement
- Significantly reduced fertilizer (N) requirement
- Can only be produced as “Certified“