About Tifway 419 Bermudagrass
Tifway 419 Bermudagrass has been the standard turfgrass used for athletic fields and golf course tees and fairways across the southern half of the United States. A F-1 hybrid released in 1960 by Georgia Coastal Plain Experiment Station and the Plant Science Research Division of ARS, Tifway 419 has the strength and durability to withstand heavy use combined with a beautiful look and feel. Considered one of the most durable hybrid Bermudas, its exceptional wear tolerance makes it a great surface for high traffic areas.
Compared to Tiffine or Tifgreen, Tifway 419 has greater frost resistance, earlier spring growth, greater sod webworm resistance, better herbicide tolerance and stiffer leaf blades.
Combines toughness with beauty.
Golf course fairways, roughs, tee boxes • Sports fields • Commercial and residential lawns
- Darker green color
- Medium fine-textured leaves
- Grows best in warm climates
- Has excellent heat tolerance up to 110º
- May become dormant after repeated winter frosts but recovers quickly when temperatures are warm
- Vigorous growth habit
- Establishes quickly at planting
- Wear tolerance perfect for high traffic areas
- Quick recovery from injury, a vigorous regenerator
- Excellent drought recovery
- Disease tendency is relatively low
- Performs best when mowed closely